UN turns down plea for full compensation to Kerala woman
Kochi: The Kerala High Court has been informed by the Centre that the United Nations Compensation Commission has turned down the suggestion of paying full compensation to a woman who had to flee Kuwait with her family during the Iraqi invasion.
The decision in this regard was communicated in a letter sent by the UNCC to the Centre on the claim raised by Pramila Paul of Thrissur.
The petitioner had approached the High Court stating that she and her husband had worked in Kuwait for about 22 years and had to flee in the wake of the invasion, leaving behind their savings, valuables and other belongings. Her husband was injured seriously while fleeing and had later passed away.
The UNCC had earlier granted her partial compensation.
Justice S Sirijagan had last year directed the Union government to initiate steps to process her claim for full compensation.
Following the Centre`s submission, the High Court yesterday closed the contempt petition filed by the woman against two officials of the External Affairs Ministry for not taking her plea with the UN body.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know