Unprecedented security steps ahead of Kannur assembly bypoll
Kannur: Taking serious view of complaints of
irregularities in the election process of the November seven
bypoll to Kannur assembly constituency, officials have
enforced stern steps to ensure free and fair polling.
The decision was finalised after an all party meeting,
chaired by new District Collector P B Salim at the
Collectorate here this evening, official sources said.
It has been decided to take photographs and finger prints
of people as they cast votes and to have videograph in all the
trouble-prone polling stations.
While 40 observers would closely monitor the election
process, 22 sectoral magistrates and an equal number of police
teams would be deployed in the constituency from tomorrow to
take stock of the election process. It has also been decided
to depute officials having the rank of Tahsildars in 10 to 15
booths, he sources said.
The number of security forces in the total 119 polling
booths would be doubled while 10 additional security forces
each would be deployed in 64 polling stations identified as
Representatives of leading political parties including
CPI-M, Congress, BJP and Muslim League attended the all party
meeting, the sources said.
Opposition UDF had accused CPI-M of misuing official
machinery by including sizeable number of "bogus" voters and
deleting large number of electorates from the previous list.
The CPI-M had accused Union Minister Vayalar Ravi of
violating model code of conduct by offering sops during his
visit to Kannur recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack