Unrest over land acquisition: CM to call all-party meet
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan will soon convene an all-party meet to solve the unrest over the land acquisition in Kinaloor near Kozhikode for an industrial park, which witnessed a clash between local people and police last week.
An all party meeting will be called soon to settle the issues with the cooperation of people, Achuthanandan told reporters after a state cabinet meet Wednesday.
Nominees of all political parties from Kozhikode district would be invited to the meet, whose date will be decided later, he said.
Asked about certain adverse comments made by Industries Minister Elamaram Kareem about media coverage of the Kinaloor incident, Achuthanandan said "you better put this question to him (Kareem)."
Nearly 100 people, including a few policemen, were injured in clashes and lathicharge that followed resistance put up by people against conduct of a survey for a four-lane road through a site acquired by a state agency for an industrial park.
The protesters alleged that the road alignment and acquisition of land would displace the families who had been living in the area for long.
Opposition parties including the Congress had accused the government and the police of having handled the situation brutally and were pressing for a comprehensive probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi