Uproar in Kerala Assembly over graft charge against CM`s son
Thiruvananathapuram: Kerala Assembly Wednesday
witnessed noisy scenes over allegations of corruption against State Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan`s son V A Arun Kumar
leading to walkout by congress led UDF Opposition members even
as the 87-year-old CPI-M stalwart dubbed the charges as an
attempt to defaming him.
Amid heated exchanges by the ruling LDF and Congress-led
UDf members, Achuthanandan described as baseless the charge
that Arun Kumar took a bribe of Rs7 lakh from `Sandalwood`
lobby in 2003 when his father was leader of the opposition.
The UDF members buttressed their charge by quoting a report
carried by the pro-Congress Jaihind TV in which one Khadar
alleged the money was paid to Arun Kumar to slow down the
campaign spearheaded by h Achuthanandan against private
sanalwood extraction units.
Rejecting the opposition demand for an adjournment on the
issue,moved by K Babu (Cong), Achuthanandan said the
allegation against his son was raised as a ploy to deflect
charges of corruption and sex scams hauntig the UDF camp.
He sought to know as whey the then UDF Government did not
take action against his son, if he was involved in any corrupt
deal. He said making such false and politically motivated
allegations when assembly polls were round the corner was not
going to click.
He said, Khader, who had made the allegations on the channel
was local functionary of the Indian Union Muslim League from
Kasargode area and was invoved in many criminal cases.
Opposition leader Oommen Chandy hit out at the Chief Minister
saying that it was difficult to understand as why he was not
ready to register a case if he was certain that the charges
were false and the person who levelled them had no
"If Chief Minister has nothing to hide, whey he is not
ordering a probe and registering a case`, Chandy asked before
staging a walkout along with Opposition members.
Seeking leave for an adjournment motion, Babu wanted the
government to order a probe into the charges against Arun
Kumar on the basis of the "revelations" made by Khadar on the
T V Channel.
Babu also said that Achuthanandan, who was leading a
vigourous camapign against private sandalwood factories, had
soften his stand towards private sandalwood factories.
After the reply of Achuthanandan, Speaker K Radhakrishnan
refused leave for the motion, leading to walk-out by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm