US University doctorate for Mata Amritanandamayi
Kochi: The State University of New York will
confer Hindu spiritual leader Amritanandamayi Devi with an
honorary doctorate degree in humane letters in recognition of
her wide-ranging humanitarian contributions on May 25.
The honour, the first for an Indian, would be bestowed on
her at a special convocation at the university at New York,
Vice Provost for all International programmes Steve Dunnet and
Chairman of the university`s computer science department Dr
Bharat Jayaraman said in a video conference here.
In the university`s 164-year history, only two other
world leaders, including Tibetan spiritual head the Dalai Lama
have been bestowed this award, the University`s highest,
The State University is one of the largest university
systems in the US with 64 campuses.
Describing Amma, as she is called by her followers, as a
distinguished humanitarian, the university announcement said
Amritanandamayi Devi "is esteemed internationally for her
tireless efforts on behalf of global peace for her commitment
to education and for the far reaching impact of her charitable
organisiations in relieving poverty and human suffering in
India and around the world.
Pro Chancellor Abhayaamrita Chaitanaya and Vice
chancellor Dr G Venkata Rnagan of Amrita Vishwa Vidya Peetam
university, told reporters here that the math was among the
first to respond in the devastating Haiti earthquake which
claimed several lives.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?