Use modern means to promote languages: Pranab
Thiruvananthapuram: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday said modern means should be used to promote Indian languages to preserve their cultural richness for future generations.
"It is necessary while safeguarding our cherished languages to promote them through all the modern means at our disposal today," Mukherjee said inaugurating the Vishwa Malayala Mahotsav-2012 at the Senate Hall of Kerala University here.
"A language, however much it may be enriched with traditional values and heritage, would lose its relevance and popularity if it did not evolve," he said, emphasising the need for using modern means to preserve them.
Mukherjee said the Malayalam University, to be inaugurated on November one at Tirur, the hallowed birth place of Thunchathu Ezhuthechan, would positively impact preservation and propagation of the language.
Dwelling on the role played by Malayalam in cultural and literary development of Kerala over the centuries, Mukherjee said despite its unique identity, Kerala had simultaneously remained "open, tolerant and hospitable to new elements and influences."
This was in tune with Indian civilisation`s unique trait of unity in diversity.
"The canvas of Indian culture is a vast and unique kaleidoscope. It is enriched by the heritage and cultural traditions of its constituent societies," he said.
Observing that India`s unity in diversity had always provided the space for sustenance and growth, he said, "Within this happy co-existence, Malayalam is the essence and embodiment of the rich history, culture, art and heritage of Malayali people".
Governor H R Bhardwaj, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Union Ministers Shashi Tharoor and K C Venugopal and state culture Minister K C Joseph were present on the occasion.
Many of leading Malayalam literary figures including Jnanpith laureates M T Vasudevan Nair and ONV Kurup were also present at the inaugural of the three-day event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi