Use modern means to promote languages: Pranab
Thiruvananthapuram: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday said modern means should be used to promote Indian languages to preserve their cultural richness for future generations.
"It is necessary while safeguarding our cherished languages to promote them through all the modern means at our disposal today," Mukherjee said inaugurating the Vishwa Malayala Mahotsav-2012 at the Senate Hall of Kerala University here.
"A language, however much it may be enriched with traditional values and heritage, would lose its relevance and popularity if it did not evolve," he said, emphasising the need for using modern means to preserve them.
Mukherjee said the Malayalam University, to be inaugurated on November one at Tirur, the hallowed birth place of Thunchathu Ezhuthechan, would positively impact preservation and propagation of the language.
Dwelling on the role played by Malayalam in cultural and literary development of Kerala over the centuries, Mukherjee said despite its unique identity, Kerala had simultaneously remained "open, tolerant and hospitable to new elements and influences."
This was in tune with Indian civilisation`s unique trait of unity in diversity.
"The canvas of Indian culture is a vast and unique kaleidoscope. It is enriched by the heritage and cultural traditions of its constituent societies," he said.
Observing that India`s unity in diversity had always provided the space for sustenance and growth, he said, "Within this happy co-existence, Malayalam is the essence and embodiment of the rich history, culture, art and heritage of Malayali people".
Governor H R Bhardwaj, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Union Ministers Shashi Tharoor and K C Venugopal and state culture Minister K C Joseph were present on the occasion.
Many of leading Malayalam literary figures including Jnanpith laureates M T Vasudevan Nair and ONV Kurup were also present at the inaugural of the three-day event.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway