Varghese killing: Former IG files appeal in HC
Kochi: Former IGP K Lakshmana, sentenced
to life by a CBI court here for the `brutal` killing of Naxal
leader A Varghese in police action four decades ago, today
moved the Kerala High Court challenging the trial court
He contended that there were serious infirmities in
the CBI court judgement and contradictions in the evidence of
Without any substance, the court had convicted and
sentenced him, he submitted in his appeal.
The CBI court last week convicted Lakshmana (74) of
murder charges in the case relating to the killing of
Varghese, who was shot dead by police in the forests of Waynad
on February 18, 1970 in what they described as `encounter`
Convicting Lakshmana, judge S Vijay Kumar had observed
that death of Varghese in police encounter was `an advance
defence moulded as a pretext to commit the crime`.
Lakshmana had told the CBI court he was in his
seventies and pleaded for maximum leniency and humanitarian
The case was revived a few years ago after the first
accused, CRPF constable P Ramachandran Nair, confessed in 1998
that he had shot Varghese at the behest of Lakshmana, then
Lakshmana was also an accused in the infamous Rajan
murder case, relating to the death of the Calicut Regional
Engineering college student who disappeared after being taken
into custody by police for suspected links with Naxalites on
March one, 1976. He was later acquitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'