Veerendrakumar to be UDF candidate in Palakkad
Thiruvananthapuram: Socialist Janata Democratic (SJD) leader M P Veerendrakumar will be the candidate of Congress-led UDF for Palakkad Lok Sabha seat.
The candidature of Veerendrakumar was cleared unanimously by the SJD`s parliamentary board which met here today, according to party sources.
MB Rajesh of CPI(M) has won the Palakkad seat in 2009 and he is expected to be in the fray as LDF nominee.
Congress, which unsuccessfully contested Palakkad last time, allocated the seat to SJD in the final round of talks.
Though the SJD had earlier demanded Vatakara or Wayanad in north Kerala, the party later settled for Palakkad.
Veerendrakumar, who was in the LDF for long, parted ways with the coalition on the eve of the 2009 LS polls after CPI(M) rejected the demand of JD(S) for Kozhikode seat.
The JD(S) faction led by Veerendrakumar later formed SJD and became partner of UDF in 2011 assembly polls.
The party has a minister in the Oommen Chandy Cabinet.
Veteran Socialist, writer and activist, Veerendrakumar is a former Union Minister.
He is also Chairman and Managing Director of Kerala`s leading media house Mathrubhumi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand