Vessel case: Kerala to engage senior lawyer in SC
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala will engage a senior lawyer to present the state`s stand in the case pending in the Supreme Court concerning Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` involved in the killing of two Indian fishermen.
Stating this after a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said Advocate General K P Dandapani would be asked to take necessary steps in this regard.
The decision assumes significance as there have been complaints that the standing counsel for the state in the Apex Court did not intervene during Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval`s recent submission in the case, which sparked off a row.
Raval`s submission that the Italian ship was not within Indian territorial waters when the marines allegedly fired at the boat had drawn the state`s ire.
Both the Centre and Kerala had distanced themselves from Raval`s submission and got him removed from appearing in the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory