Vessel case: Kerala to engage senior lawyer in SC
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala will engage a senior lawyer to present the state`s stand in the case pending in the Supreme Court concerning Italian ship `Enrica Lexie` involved in the killing of two Indian fishermen.
Stating this after a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said Advocate General K P Dandapani would be asked to take necessary steps in this regard.
The decision assumes significance as there have been complaints that the standing counsel for the state in the Apex Court did not intervene during Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval`s recent submission in the case, which sparked off a row.
Raval`s submission that the Italian ship was not within Indian territorial waters when the marines allegedly fired at the boat had drawn the state`s ire.
Both the Centre and Kerala had distanced themselves from Raval`s submission and got him removed from appearing in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch