Veteran Kathakali actor Sivaraman passes away
Palakkad: Veteran Kathakali artiste
Kottakkal Sivaraman, who excelled in depicting heroines of
Indian mythology, passed away due to old age ailment at his
residence in Karalmanna here tonight, family members said.
He was 76 and is survived by his wife and two daughters.
He had been keeping indifferent health for some time.
In Kathakali theatre, Sivaraman was synonymous with
Indian mythological characters like Damayanti, Kunti and
Draupadi, teaming up with veteran actors specialising in male
roles since his adolescence.
A disciple of Kathakali maestro Vazhengada Kunju Nair,
Sivaraman appeared as heroines for renowned artistes like
Krishnan Nair, Ramankutty Nair and Kalamandalam Gopi.
Though he made a mark in doing romantic roles in the
initial phase of his career, Sivaraman later stole the hearts
of Kathakali fans through his moving portrayal of Kunti in
`Karna Sapatham`, which was performed on thousands of stages, mostly with Kalamandalam Gopi.
Sivaraman has been honoured with several awards,
including `Stree Ratna Puraskaram` for his sterling portrayal
of women in Kathakali theatre.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10