Veteran Kathakali actor Sivaraman passes away
Palakkad: Veteran Kathakali artiste
Kottakkal Sivaraman, who excelled in depicting heroines of
Indian mythology, passed away due to old age ailment at his
residence in Karalmanna here tonight, family members said.
He was 76 and is survived by his wife and two daughters.
He had been keeping indifferent health for some time.
In Kathakali theatre, Sivaraman was synonymous with
Indian mythological characters like Damayanti, Kunti and
Draupadi, teaming up with veteran actors specialising in male
roles since his adolescence.
A disciple of Kathakali maestro Vazhengada Kunju Nair,
Sivaraman appeared as heroines for renowned artistes like
Krishnan Nair, Ramankutty Nair and Kalamandalam Gopi.
Though he made a mark in doing romantic roles in the
initial phase of his career, Sivaraman later stole the hearts
of Kathakali fans through his moving portrayal of Kunti in
`Karna Sapatham`, which was performed on thousands of stages, mostly with Kalamandalam Gopi.
Sivaraman has been honoured with several awards,
including `Stree Ratna Puraskaram` for his sterling portrayal
of women in Kathakali theatre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015