Vice President to unveil statue of Vivekananda
Thiruvananthapuram: Vice President Hamid Ansari will unveil the statue of Swami Vivekananda at Kowdiar Park here on September 11, coinciding with the anniversary of Swami`s historic Chicago speech.
The statue is being installed as part of the year-long country-wide celebration of the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
The Vice President, who arrives here on a two-day visit on September 10, will unveil the bronze statue having a height of 9.5 feet and a meditation "mandapam."
The City Corporation donated the land at Kowdiar Park to Vivekananda Kendram, Kanyakumari, and Sri Ramakrishna Ashram, as a mark of the city`s adoration and respect to the great spiritual leader.
On his arrival on September 10, Ansari would give away the Sree Narayana Guru Global Secular and Peace Award at a function to be held at University Senate Hall.
The following day, Ansari would address a special session of the Assembly. He will also unveil the statue of freedom fighter Annie Mascrene at Vzhuthacaud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?