Vigilance to file FIR against Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: Vigilance police in Kerala will file an FIR in a Kozhikode court on Friday against CPI-M veteran VS Achuthanandan over alleged irregularities in
assigning land to a relative when he was chief minister.
The Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau (VACB) sources said Achuthanandan would be arraigned as the first accused in the case in which seven others including CPI leader and former minister KP Rajendran and some IAS officers are also to be
listed as accused.
The investigating agency had on Wednesday recommended registering a case against 87-year old Achuthanandan and others after a probe ordered last year found that assigning of land to ex-service personnel TK Soman involved alleged gross irregularities.
The charges to be brought against the accused would be for offences such as nepotism, corruption, conspiracy, cheating and destruction of evidence, Vigilance sources said.
After registering the case, VACB would conduct a detailed probe before filing the charge sheet against the accused.
Meanwhile, seizing on the issue, UDF demanded resignation of Achuthanandan as the Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly.
UDF Convener PP Thankachan said political morality warranted Achuthanandan to step down as Opposition Leader.
Achuthanandan had yesterday hit back at the UDF government alleging political motive behind the action against him, but the UDF Government has rejected the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?