Vigilance to file FIR against Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: Vigilance police in Kerala will file an FIR in a Kozhikode court on Friday against CPI-M veteran VS Achuthanandan over alleged irregularities in
assigning land to a relative when he was chief minister.
The Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau (VACB) sources said Achuthanandan would be arraigned as the first accused in the case in which seven others including CPI leader and former minister KP Rajendran and some IAS officers are also to be
listed as accused.
The investigating agency had on Wednesday recommended registering a case against 87-year old Achuthanandan and others after a probe ordered last year found that assigning of land to ex-service personnel TK Soman involved alleged gross irregularities.
The charges to be brought against the accused would be for offences such as nepotism, corruption, conspiracy, cheating and destruction of evidence, Vigilance sources said.
After registering the case, VACB would conduct a detailed probe before filing the charge sheet against the accused.
Meanwhile, seizing on the issue, UDF demanded resignation of Achuthanandan as the Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly.
UDF Convener PP Thankachan said political morality warranted Achuthanandan to step down as Opposition Leader.
Achuthanandan had yesterday hit back at the UDF government alleging political motive behind the action against him, but the UDF Government has rejected the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- `Inexcusable errors` by Australia TV crew in Beirut kidnap
- Drop everything and watch out for John, Varun & Jacqueline starrer 'Dishoom's logo! Pic Inside
- Centre to declassify 25 more files relating to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose today
- SRH vs SL: Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 2 - Players to watch out for in virtual semi-final
- Spellers from Texas, New York state battle to tie in US Spelling Bee