VS Achuthanandan faces attack over nuclear energy issue
Thiruvananthapuram: After being censured by his party`s Central Committee for defying the official line on the Kudankulam nuclear power plant issue, CPI (M) veteran V S Achuthanandan has also come under sharp attack in the Kerala unit of the party for openly taking divergent stands on some vital issues.
According to party sources, the 88-year-old leader faced sharp criticism in the CPI(M) state committee meeting held yesterday for pledging open support to the agitation demanding closure of the nuclear energy plant and even making an attempt to visit Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu.
Many of those in the committee also found fault with the senior leader for comparing the party state secretary Pinarayi Vjayan to S A Dange, who presided over the split in the undivided CPI in 1964.
A founder leader of the CPI(M) and a former Chief Minister, Achuthanandan has been censured by party Central Committee twice in last three months, over the "Dange" remark and the Kudankulam issue.
While the CPI(M) disagrees with the anti-nuclear energy campaigners` demand for closing down the Kudankulam plant, Achuthanandan had often stated openly that he firmly believed that nuclear plants are dangerous anywhere in the world.
Though he had refrained from openly commenting on the Central Committee meeting`s decision to censure him over the issue, Achuthandnan had so far declined to acknowledge that he had committed any error.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH