‘VS approached HC over sex scandal for publicity’
Kozhikode: A day after V S Achuthanandan approached the Kerala High Court seeking a CBI probe into the ice cream parlour sex scandal, state Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty on Saturday, claimed the CPI-M veteran had done it for "publicity purpose".
Kunhalikutty, whose relative K A Rauf had alleged that the IUML leader had tried to influence witnesses in the sex scandal, told reporters that for the past 10-15 years, Achuthanandan has been doing "something or other for publicity purpose".
"There is nothing in it," he said, referring to the leader of Opposition approaching the court.
Achuthanandan was under "severe tension" as he and his son V Arunkumar are facing "various allegations", including a land deal case at Kasargod district, Kunhalikutty said.
The IUML leader also alleged that Achuthanandan was creating a "smokescreen" ahead of the CPI-M party congress.
Achuthanandan had submitted in court yesterday that, during the past seven months, no investigation was done in the case registered on the basis of statements by Rauf, who later fell out of Kunhalikutty`s favour.
Rauf had alleged that Kunhalikutty used money power and him (Rauf) to influence witnesses, prosecutors, social workers and judicial officers to escape from the ice cream parlour sex case.
The sex scandal had rocked Kerala in the late 1990s, when it came to light that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode was being used to lure women into prostitution. There were
allegations about Kunhalikutty`s involvement in the case, but he did not figure as accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown