VS confirms writing letter to Karat
Thiruvananthapuram: In further embarrassment to CPI(M), Marxist stalwart VS Achuthanandan on Monday confirmed that he had written to party general secretary Prakash Karat seeking the intervention of the central leadership in the party affairs in Kerala.
Significantly, Achuthanandan`s confirmation of writing to Karat came hours after his bete noire and state party secretary Pinarayi Vijayan dubbing the reports as "mere media creation."
"I did write the letter. But I do not wish to share its contents with you", the 88-year-old leader told reporters at Kayamkulam in Alappuzha district. He declined to say anything when his comment was sought on Vijayan`s contention that there was no such letter as reported by media.
In his letter, Achuthanandan had reportedly asked the party`s central leadership to recast the state leadership headed by Vijayan. He was also said to have made it clear he was not interested in continuing as leader of the opposition in the prevailing scenario.
The long-running Vijayan-Achuthanandan feud flared up a fortnight ago in the wake of the murder of TP Chandrasekharan, who was expelled from CPI(M) a few years back and floated the Revolutionary Marxist Party (RMP).
While CPI(M) is under shadow of suspicion with the arrest of some party activists in the case, Achuthanandan has kept on saying the state leadership should have tried to bring back rebels like Chandrasekharan.
While Vijayan dubbed the rebels as "renegades", Achuthanandan took serious objection to that and accused Vijayan of acting like an autocrat.
The latest turn in the long-running feud between the two leaders, pushing the party to its worst crisis in recent times, has come at a time when CPI(M) is locked in a grim assembly bye-election from Neyyattinkara.
The bypoll has been caused by resignation of the assembly seat by R Selvaraj who won in 2011 on a CPI-M ticket. After stunning the party two months ago, Selvaraj is back in the seat as a Congress candidate.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Pfizer boosts cancer drug roster with $14 billion Medivation deal
- OP Jaisha's ordeal: Marathon runner demands enquiry after AFI says she refused to avail energy drinks
- Pokemon Go fever fading in United States
- Big three leaders insist EU not finished after Brexit
- Renault Kwid (1.0-litre) SCe vs Maruti Alto K10 vs Hyundai Eon 1.0-litre - Spec Comparison