VS slams UDF Govt over varsity land scam
Thiruvananthauram: CPI(M) stalwart and Kerala Opposition Leader VS Achuthandan on Tuesday came down heavily on the UDF Government over the "Calicut University land scam."
Speaking to reporters here, he sought to know from Chief Minister Oommen Chandy his stand on the row since front partner IUML had acted as if it had the sole right over the entire public education sector simply because it held the education portfolio.
The scandal pertains to an aborted move by a section in the University administration and syndicate to assign vast tracts of land forming part of its central campus to some private trusts with academic and sporting interests.
With the issue hotting up, university Vice-chancellor M Abdul Salam on Monday clarified that no final decision had been taken on assigning the land to private trusts.
The syndicate members, owing allegiance to Congress and IUML who supported the move, have also distanced themselves from the move.
The private trusts, which were to benefit, were controlled by persons having close links with IUML ministers and leaders, Achuthanandan said.
"IUML has been as if the entire education system is under its sole control. Chandy should clarify if he had bequeathed the whole education sector to IUML. Civil society in Kerala would not allow that," the CPI(M) leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan bans contraceptive advertisements on TV, radio
- Janet Yellen says Fed rate hike likely appropriate in coming months
- Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez provide qualifying boost for Force India
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Players to watch out for
- Lionel Messi Injury Video: Witness the moment that scared everyone