VS slams UDF Govt over varsity land scam
Thiruvananthauram: CPI(M) stalwart and Kerala Opposition Leader VS Achuthandan on Tuesday came down heavily on the UDF Government over the "Calicut University land scam."
Speaking to reporters here, he sought to know from Chief Minister Oommen Chandy his stand on the row since front partner IUML had acted as if it had the sole right over the entire public education sector simply because it held the education portfolio.
The scandal pertains to an aborted move by a section in the University administration and syndicate to assign vast tracts of land forming part of its central campus to some private trusts with academic and sporting interests.
With the issue hotting up, university Vice-chancellor M Abdul Salam on Monday clarified that no final decision had been taken on assigning the land to private trusts.
The syndicate members, owing allegiance to Congress and IUML who supported the move, have also distanced themselves from the move.
The private trusts, which were to benefit, were controlled by persons having close links with IUML ministers and leaders, Achuthanandan said.
"IUML has been as if the entire education system is under its sole control. Chandy should clarify if he had bequeathed the whole education sector to IUML. Civil society in Kerala would not allow that," the CPI(M) leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack