VS slams UDF Govt over varsity land scam
Thiruvananthauram: CPI(M) stalwart and Kerala Opposition Leader VS Achuthandan on Tuesday came down heavily on the UDF Government over the "Calicut University land scam."
Speaking to reporters here, he sought to know from Chief Minister Oommen Chandy his stand on the row since front partner IUML had acted as if it had the sole right over the entire public education sector simply because it held the education portfolio.
The scandal pertains to an aborted move by a section in the University administration and syndicate to assign vast tracts of land forming part of its central campus to some private trusts with academic and sporting interests.
With the issue hotting up, university Vice-chancellor M Abdul Salam on Monday clarified that no final decision had been taken on assigning the land to private trusts.
The syndicate members, owing allegiance to Congress and IUML who supported the move, have also distanced themselves from the move.
The private trusts, which were to benefit, were controlled by persons having close links with IUML ministers and leaders, Achuthanandan said.
"IUML has been as if the entire education system is under its sole control. Chandy should clarify if he had bequeathed the whole education sector to IUML. Civil society in Kerala would not allow that," the CPI(M) leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?