War War II veterans to get pension from union govt
Kochi: Kerala High Court has directed the Union Government to pay a monthly pension of Rs 3000 to World War-II veterans in the state.
A Division Bench, comprising Chief Justice J Chelemeswar and Justice P R Ramachandran Menon, issued the direction on a petition filed by K B R Pillai, President of the Kerala Ex-servicemen Welfare Association.
While giving the directive, the court noted that the government was liberal in granting pension to those who were imprisoned for six months in connection with the freedom struggle, under the Swathanthratha Sainik Pension scheme, but
ignored WW II veterans.
The petitioner had submitted that WW II veterans, who had served in the Indian army, were denied pension on the ground that they had not put in the minimum qualifying years of service.
According to the Defence Ministry, a person below the rank of an officer should have put in 15 years of service and commissioned officers should have served for at least 20 years to be eligible for pension.
The veterans are currently being paid only Rs 500 per month by the state government which is inadequate, the petitioner stated. At least 12 octogenarians and nonagenarians will benefit from the verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’