We cannot jump the process: Renuka on Suryanelli
New Delhi: Amid demands for P J Kurien`s resignation, Congress on Friday said the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson was given a "clean chit" by the judiciary and "we cannot jump the process" in the wake of fresh revelations in the Suryanelli rape case.
"There was a judicial process that examined... He was given a clean chit and at this point of time there is still a legal process, we cannot jump the process... Let the courts (decide)," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters on a volley of questions on the issue.
Asserting that the party had never protected anyone who is guilty, she said that the court had found earlier that Kurien was "not in the scene" when the alleged incident happened.
Asked whether Kurien should quit on moral grounds in the wake of change of statements by some witnesses, she said, "We do not have the luxury to indulge in this... We still have to go to judicial system."
In a new twist to the Suryanelli case, a local BJP leader in Kerala alleged his statement was wrongly recorded by investigators benefiting Kurien who is facing heat on the issue as protests continued with calls for his exit.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh