We cannot jump the process: Renuka on Suryanelli
New Delhi: Amid demands for P J Kurien`s resignation, Congress on Friday said the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson was given a "clean chit" by the judiciary and "we cannot jump the process" in the wake of fresh revelations in the Suryanelli rape case.
"There was a judicial process that examined... He was given a clean chit and at this point of time there is still a legal process, we cannot jump the process... Let the courts (decide)," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters on a volley of questions on the issue.
Asserting that the party had never protected anyone who is guilty, she said that the court had found earlier that Kurien was "not in the scene" when the alleged incident happened.
Asked whether Kurien should quit on moral grounds in the wake of change of statements by some witnesses, she said, "We do not have the luxury to indulge in this... We still have to go to judicial system."
In a new twist to the Suryanelli case, a local BJP leader in Kerala alleged his statement was wrongly recorded by investigators benefiting Kurien who is facing heat on the issue as protests continued with calls for his exit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi