We cannot jump the process: Renuka on Suryanelli
New Delhi: Amid demands for P J Kurien`s resignation, Congress on Friday said the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson was given a "clean chit" by the judiciary and "we cannot jump the process" in the wake of fresh revelations in the Suryanelli rape case.
"There was a judicial process that examined... He was given a clean chit and at this point of time there is still a legal process, we cannot jump the process... Let the courts (decide)," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters on a volley of questions on the issue.
Asserting that the party had never protected anyone who is guilty, she said that the court had found earlier that Kurien was "not in the scene" when the alleged incident happened.
Asked whether Kurien should quit on moral grounds in the wake of change of statements by some witnesses, she said, "We do not have the luxury to indulge in this... We still have to go to judicial system."
In a new twist to the Suryanelli case, a local BJP leader in Kerala alleged his statement was wrongly recorded by investigators benefiting Kurien who is facing heat on the issue as protests continued with calls for his exit.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!