Thiruvanathapuram: Kerala authorities on Tuesday issued warning to people living near Puttingal temple in Kollam to not use water from wells in the area for drinking and other purposes fearing that chemicals from firecrackers and human body parts of those perished in the recent fire tragedy might have fallen into it.
According to CNN IBN report, officials have told people living near temple not to use water from the wells near the temple as it might have been contaminated by the burnt explosives and ash and burnt human body parts. People have been asked to arrange water for drinking purpose from somewhere else for next 3-4 days.
Meanwhile, health department has gathered samples from the wells near the Puttingal temple and is inspecting if the water in the wells is suitable enough to be used for drinking purpose or not.
A ghostly tragedy took place at the 100-year-old Puttingal temple in Kollam when during an unauthorised display of fireworks, sparks from fireworks display fell on storeroom where firecrackers were stored, triggering massive explosion. At least 109 people lost their lives while 383 were left injured in the incident.
At least 13 people have been arrested in connection with the temple fire tragedy. President, Secretary and Treasurer of temple managing committee are among those held.