Western Ghats conservation: Common man will be spared of hardships
Thiruvananthapuram: Sharing concern of farmers, Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday said common man would not be made to suffer while implementing the Western Ghats conservation measures recommended by the K Kasturirangan committee.
Antony made the assurance to representatives of the "Jana Rakshana Samiti" from Thamarassery in Kozhikode who called on him to voice their apprehensions over the issue.
Samiti leaders told reporters that Antony had assured them that common man would be spared of hardships while implementing measures proposed by the panel for conservation of the Western Ghats, a biodiversity hot spot facing serious environmental degradation.
Congress MP from Wayanad, M I Shanawas, was also present during the meeting.
The Centre`s move to implement the panel report had in recent months sparked strong protests in upland areas of Kerala, where hundreds small and medium farmers hold lands on the slopes of the mountain range.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah