Western Ghats: LDF strike hits normal life in upland districts
Idukki/Kalpetta: A day-long strike called by CPI(M)-led LDF in upland Idukki and Wayanad districts of Kerala against implementation of Kasturirangan report on Western Ghats conservation hit normal life on Saturday.
The statewide strike by employees of Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) to press their demands added to the hardship of the people in the two districts.
According to the police, the protest affected both the districts where shops remained closed and private bus services kept off the roads. No incident of violence was reported from anywhere.
The strike was called by the LDF demanding withdrawal of the notification issued in November last by the Union Environment and Forests Ministry regarding the Kasturirangan panel report on Western Ghats conservation, which bracketed 120 villages under Ecologically Sensitive Areas category.
Though Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has exuded confidence that the Centre would consider the state`s demand not to implement the report in its present form, Union Minister Veerappa Moily has refused to set a timeline for addressing the state`s concern.
The LDF leaders held that the Centre`s "vague" response to the state`s demand signalled that an early decision on the issue that agitate thousands of families was not in sight.
KSRTC buses went off the roads in most parts of the state in response to strike called by various unions demanding withdrawal of "anti-labour" provisions in the package being implemented for revival of the loss-making public utility.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok