`Will request PM to inaugurate work on Kochi Metro`
Thiruvanathapuram: Kerala government would request Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to inaugurate work on Kochi Metro during `Emerging Kerala Global meet` scheduled at Kochi in September, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Wednesay.
"It is our wish that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh inaugurate work on Kochi Metro and we will request him to do so," he told reporters after a cabinet meeting here.
Chandy said a meeting of Kochi Metro would be held on July 10 to discuss the other formalities to implement the project in the wake of clearance given by the Centre.
He said E Sreedharan, chairman of Delhi Metro Development Corporation, the implementing agency, would attend the meeting.
Chandy said the government did not forsee any problem on land acquisition and added that the compensation package for those displaced would be decided by the state.
He said the cabinet had also approved the skill development project, which would have additional skill acquisition programme and skill enhancement programme for youths. The project, announced in this year`s budget, would be implemented in cooperation with education and labour departments, he said.
The cabinet also decided to hike the wages of guest teachers of government engineering colleges, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez