`Will request PM to inaugurate work on Kochi Metro`
Thiruvanathapuram: Kerala government would request Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to inaugurate work on Kochi Metro during `Emerging Kerala Global meet` scheduled at Kochi in September, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Wednesay.
"It is our wish that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh inaugurate work on Kochi Metro and we will request him to do so," he told reporters after a cabinet meeting here.
Chandy said a meeting of Kochi Metro would be held on July 10 to discuss the other formalities to implement the project in the wake of clearance given by the Centre.
He said E Sreedharan, chairman of Delhi Metro Development Corporation, the implementing agency, would attend the meeting.
Chandy said the government did not forsee any problem on land acquisition and added that the compensation package for those displaced would be decided by the state.
He said the cabinet had also approved the skill development project, which would have additional skill acquisition programme and skill enhancement programme for youths. The project, announced in this year`s budget, would be implemented in cooperation with education and labour departments, he said.
The cabinet also decided to hike the wages of guest teachers of government engineering colleges, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?