Will set up spl court to try graft cases: K’taka Congress
Bangalore: The Congress today said it would establish a special court in Karnataka to try cases relating to illegal mining and corruption if it comes to power in the state.
Leader of the Opposition in the House, Siddaramaiah said: "We will set up a special court to try illegal mining cases, denotification of land and land grabbing cases and get punishment for those involved".
He targeted the BJP government while speaking on the motion of thanks to the Governor`s address and accused it of lowering the image of the state, with corruption cases during its tenure.
Assembly elections are due in Karnataka in May, and Siddaramaiah claimed that his party would come to power.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar sought to take a dig at Congress, saying the main opposition party is "day-dreaming" of coming to power.
Shettar denied Siddaramaiah`s contention that the state`s financial position is not good and that it`s borrowing more than required.
"When the size of the budget goes up, the public debt also goes up. There is no meaning in the criticism", he said.
Fiscal deficit has come down compared to 2007-08 and is within the Karnataka Fiscal Responsibility Act and the targets prescribed by the 13th Finance Commission, he said.
But Siddaramaiah pointed out that while GSDP growth was more than 10 per cent in 2004-05, it came down to 5.5 per cent in 2011-12 and it`s projected to be 5.9 per cent this fiscal. "In such a scenario, how can one say that the financial status is good?", he asked.
On the demand from JDS and Congress which pushed the Government to give compensation to farmers of sugarcane and other perennial crops, affected due to drought, Shettar said the government would conduct a survey to ascertain the extent of damage, adding, it would give them relief.
Meanwhile, Shettar tabled in the Assembly the supplementary estimates 2012-13.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan