‘Woman cops trekking Sabarimala violated norms’
Sabarimala: A police probe has found that two woman constables trekking Sabarimala as escort to the family members of a state minister violated the age-old custom of the shrine that restricts the entry of women in the 10-50 age group.
An explanation would be sought from the Circle Inspector
of Police, who assigned the woman constables to accompany
Agriculture Minister KP Mohanan and his family members from
the base camp Pampa two days ago, ADGP Chandrasekharan told
Based on the Circle Inspector`s explanation, suitable
action would be taken in the matter, he said.
The inquiry, which included examination of the
surveillance camera visuals, showed that the two policewomen
in the restricted age group had gone up to `Sabari Peetam`,
about 1.5 km from the temple complex. This not only infringed
on the temple custom but also involved violation of the Kerala
High Court order, he said.
A team of women police personnel are posted at Pampa to
halt women in the restricted age group going up the Sabari
The case was brought to the notice of the police by some
devotees, who claimed that they saw the woman constables
accompanying the minister`s team, which included some women
devotees in the permissible age group and children.
A few years ago, the claim by Kannada actress Jaimala
that she had visited the shrine and offered worship in the
prime of her youth had triggered a controversy.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why