Women smugglers were regular gold carriers: DRI
Kochi: The two women including an Air India Express cabin crew member, arrested for carrying six kg gold at the Kozhikode airport on Friday, were regular carriers, according to an official of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
The two were picked up by the DRI when they landed from Dubai at the Kozhikode airport on Thursday.
Speaking to a news agency, the official who did not wish to be identified, said the two admitted during interrogation that they had worked as carriers on many occasions in the past also.
"They said that from July till they were caught, they have smuggled in 32 kg of gold through the Kochi, Chennai and Kozhikode airports," said the official.
The arrested cabin crew member Hiromas Sebastian, who is from Wayanad district, has been working with Air India Express for the past few years. The other arrested person has been identified as Raheela Cheerayi. Air India has already suspended its employee.
"The two arrested are close friends and the cabin crew lady was not on duty. The interrogation has just begun and they will be produced before an economic offences court here later in the day. It`s too early to say if there are more women who are being used as carriers," said the DRI official.
Following the arrest of the two carriers, the DRI officials are zeroing in on businessmen based in Kannur and Kozhikode districts and also in Dubai and who are believed to be the kingpins of the smuggling racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day