Women smugglers were regular gold carriers: DRI
Kochi: The two women including an Air India Express cabin crew member, arrested for carrying six kg gold at the Kozhikode airport on Friday, were regular carriers, according to an official of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
The two were picked up by the DRI when they landed from Dubai at the Kozhikode airport on Thursday.
Speaking to a news agency, the official who did not wish to be identified, said the two admitted during interrogation that they had worked as carriers on many occasions in the past also.
"They said that from July till they were caught, they have smuggled in 32 kg of gold through the Kochi, Chennai and Kozhikode airports," said the official.
The arrested cabin crew member Hiromas Sebastian, who is from Wayanad district, has been working with Air India Express for the past few years. The other arrested person has been identified as Raheela Cheerayi. Air India has already suspended its employee.
"The two arrested are close friends and the cabin crew lady was not on duty. The interrogation has just begun and they will be produced before an economic offences court here later in the day. It`s too early to say if there are more women who are being used as carriers," said the DRI official.
Following the arrest of the two carriers, the DRI officials are zeroing in on businessmen based in Kannur and Kozhikode districts and also in Dubai and who are believed to be the kingpins of the smuggling racket.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state