Women smugglers were regular gold carriers: DRI
Kochi: The two women including an Air India Express cabin crew member, arrested for carrying six kg gold at the Kozhikode airport on Friday, were regular carriers, according to an official of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
The two were picked up by the DRI when they landed from Dubai at the Kozhikode airport on Thursday.
Speaking to a news agency, the official who did not wish to be identified, said the two admitted during interrogation that they had worked as carriers on many occasions in the past also.
"They said that from July till they were caught, they have smuggled in 32 kg of gold through the Kochi, Chennai and Kozhikode airports," said the official.
The arrested cabin crew member Hiromas Sebastian, who is from Wayanad district, has been working with Air India Express for the past few years. The other arrested person has been identified as Raheela Cheerayi. Air India has already suspended its employee.
"The two arrested are close friends and the cabin crew lady was not on duty. The interrogation has just begun and they will be produced before an economic offences court here later in the day. It`s too early to say if there are more women who are being used as carriers," said the DRI official.
Following the arrest of the two carriers, the DRI officials are zeroing in on businessmen based in Kannur and Kozhikode districts and also in Dubai and who are believed to be the kingpins of the smuggling racket.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre