Work on Kochi Metro rail project commences
Kochi: Construction work on the Rs 5000 crore Kochi Metro project began on Friday with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy inaugurating the piling work at a function in Kochi.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had laid the foundation stone for the project on September 13, 2012.
Chandy waved a green flag at the function at the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium as simultaneously, the piling work commenced at nearby Edapally.
The Chief Minister said this was a "proud moment" for the state which had waited for years for its dream to become a reality.
Urging everyone to pledge support for the project to ensure its completion within the stipulated time frame, Chandy said Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) Principal Advisor E Sreedharan had promised that the project would become a reality in 1095 days, but had also wanted that the metro work should not be affected even a single day.
The 25-km Kochi Metro route, which will have 22 stations from Aluva to Petta, is expected to be completed in about three-year time.
The Chief Minister said there have been demands from various quarters for the extension of the metro to the IT hub at Kakkanad, Tripunithura, Nedumbassery airport-Angamally and Mattancherry.
Chandy said the government has decided to ask the Kochi Metro to study the demands and submit a report in six months on the extension after which the Centre`s consent would be taken to go ahead with it, he said.
Consultancy agreement with the DMRC would be signed within a week on the Rs 5000 crore Thiruvananthapuram-Kozhikode Monorail project. By August this year, the Mono rail work will commence, he said.
The metro project received the centre`s sanction in July last year and the Union and Kerala government are equity partners in the project, executing agency of which is the DMRC.
The centre`s share is Rs 1002.23 crore (about 19.3 per cent of total project cost while the state`s share is Rs 2009.56 crore (about Rs 38.7 per cent) while loan from funding agencies is Rs 2170 crore (about 42 per cent).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter