1 killed in clash over social post; curfew clamped in Khandwa
Khandwa (MP): Curfew was imposed early today in Khandwa after communal tension spread in the town over a post on a social networking site that allegedly hurt the feelings of a particular community and also led to the killing of a person, a police official said.
Trouble began last evening when an objectionable post was uploaded on the social networking site that flared up communal tension in the town, Khandwa`s Superintendent of Police Manoj Sharma said.
Enraged over the post, a group of unidentified persons allegedly stabbed to death a 30-year-old youth following which tension gripped the town, leading to clashes between two groups.
Police fired 10 rounds of teargas shells in Mohghat police station area and opened fire in the air thrice in Kotwali area to control the violent mob, the SP said.
Two persons, including a police constable, were injured in the violence, police said.
Later in the evening, police imposed prohibitory orders under section 144 in the town to control the situation and imposed indefinite curfew at around 4 AM today, he said.
Division Commissioner Sanjay Dube and Inspector General Vipin Maheshwari reached the town from Indore last evening to monitor the situation.
A case of murder was registered against unidentified persons in Mohghat police station, the SP said adding that additional force has been called for deployment in the sensitive area.
The situation is under control at present, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'