1 killed in clash over social post; curfew clamped in Khandwa
Khandwa (MP): Curfew was imposed early today in Khandwa after communal tension spread in the town over a post on a social networking site that allegedly hurt the feelings of a particular community and also led to the killing of a person, a police official said.
Trouble began last evening when an objectionable post was uploaded on the social networking site that flared up communal tension in the town, Khandwa`s Superintendent of Police Manoj Sharma said.
Enraged over the post, a group of unidentified persons allegedly stabbed to death a 30-year-old youth following which tension gripped the town, leading to clashes between two groups.
Police fired 10 rounds of teargas shells in Mohghat police station area and opened fire in the air thrice in Kotwali area to control the violent mob, the SP said.
Two persons, including a police constable, were injured in the violence, police said.
Later in the evening, police imposed prohibitory orders under section 144 in the town to control the situation and imposed indefinite curfew at around 4 AM today, he said.
Division Commissioner Sanjay Dube and Inspector General Vipin Maheshwari reached the town from Indore last evening to monitor the situation.
A case of murder was registered against unidentified persons in Mohghat police station, the SP said adding that additional force has been called for deployment in the sensitive area.
The situation is under control at present, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened