11 Congress councillors arrested in MP
Indore: Eleven Congress councilors of Indore Municipal Corporation were arrested for forcing their way into the Municipal Commissioner`s office to hold protest demanding suspension of city engineer over last month`s bridge collapse incident in Dhar Road last month, police said.
The councilors, led by leader of Opposition in the civic body, Abhya Verma stormed into the commissioner`s office and spent a night their to demand suspension of city engineer Hans Kumar Jain, against whom an inquiry was pending into the collapse of an under construction bridge, police said.
Concillor Chintu Chaukse, Abhay Verma, Ravi Verma, Anwar Ansari and others were forcibly taken into police custody from the protest site and were arrested, MP Congress Committee Spokesman Narendra Saluja told a news agency.
Councilors also demanded that the contractor who was given the work of building the bridge be blacklisted for poor quality of material, Saluja said, adding but the commissioner Rakesh Singh did not agree to their demands.
The councilors were arrested under section 151 of CrPc and were later on separate bail bonds, MG Thana Incharge Dilip Gangarade said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- RJD MP who said, 'Nitish looting Bihar in name of development', gets show cause notice
- Secy panel on 7th CPC to have key meeting on June 11; salary hikes unlikely to come in July
- PM Modi to attend 2nd International Yoga Day at Chandigarh
- President Pranab Mukherjee appoints Kiran Bedi as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry
- Borrowing immune cells can help fight cancer