11 Congress councillors arrested in MP
Indore: Eleven Congress councilors of Indore Municipal Corporation were arrested for forcing their way into the Municipal Commissioner`s office to hold protest demanding suspension of city engineer over last month`s bridge collapse incident in Dhar Road last month, police said.
The councilors, led by leader of Opposition in the civic body, Abhya Verma stormed into the commissioner`s office and spent a night their to demand suspension of city engineer Hans Kumar Jain, against whom an inquiry was pending into the collapse of an under construction bridge, police said.
Concillor Chintu Chaukse, Abhay Verma, Ravi Verma, Anwar Ansari and others were forcibly taken into police custody from the protest site and were arrested, MP Congress Committee Spokesman Narendra Saluja told a news agency.
Councilors also demanded that the contractor who was given the work of building the bridge be blacklisted for poor quality of material, Saluja said, adding but the commissioner Rakesh Singh did not agree to their demands.
The councilors were arrested under section 151 of CrPc and were later on separate bail bonds, MG Thana Incharge Dilip Gangarade said.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- TVS Motor sales up 16% in April
- Parineeti Chopra wants 'spa-like' personal spaces at her abode
- Nobody came to help while I screamed, says victim of Bengaluru kidnapping case
- Indian Premier League 2016: List of 11 injured players that have been ruled out of remaining tournament
- Kishore Biyani resigns as Managing Director of Future Retail