11 Congress councillors arrested in MP
Indore: Eleven Congress councilors of Indore Municipal Corporation were arrested for forcing their way into the Municipal Commissioner`s office to hold protest demanding suspension of city engineer over last month`s bridge collapse incident in Dhar Road last month, police said.
The councilors, led by leader of Opposition in the civic body, Abhya Verma stormed into the commissioner`s office and spent a night their to demand suspension of city engineer Hans Kumar Jain, against whom an inquiry was pending into the collapse of an under construction bridge, police said.
Concillor Chintu Chaukse, Abhay Verma, Ravi Verma, Anwar Ansari and others were forcibly taken into police custody from the protest site and were arrested, MP Congress Committee Spokesman Narendra Saluja told a news agency.
Councilors also demanded that the contractor who was given the work of building the bridge be blacklisted for poor quality of material, Saluja said, adding but the commissioner Rakesh Singh did not agree to their demands.
The councilors were arrested under section 151 of CrPc and were later on separate bail bonds, MG Thana Incharge Dilip Gangarade said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report