12 die in Madhya Pradesh stampede
Bhopal: At least 12 people were killed and four injured in a stampede during a religious gathering in Madhya Pradesh`s Ratlam district in the early hours of Saturday, an official said.
Chehallum is observed annually by a Muslim sect after 40 days of Muharram at Hussain Tekri in Ratlam district, 300 km from here.
The gate of the area where a fire oven on which the faithfuls walk was closed. A number of people tried to enter it, resulting in the stampede.
"Twelve people got killed. Four injured are being treated. We have announced Rs.10,000 compensation for those killed and Rs 5,000 for the injured," Ratlam Collector Rajendra Kumar Sharma said.
Four of the dead were women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened