12 die in Madhya Pradesh stampede
Bhopal: At least 12 people were killed and four injured in a stampede during a religious gathering in Madhya Pradesh`s Ratlam district in the early hours of Saturday, an official said.
Chehallum is observed annually by a Muslim sect after 40 days of Muharram at Hussain Tekri in Ratlam district, 300 km from here.
The gate of the area where a fire oven on which the faithfuls walk was closed. A number of people tried to enter it, resulting in the stampede.
"Twelve people got killed. Four injured are being treated. We have announced Rs.10,000 compensation for those killed and Rs 5,000 for the injured," Ratlam Collector Rajendra Kumar Sharma said.
Four of the dead were women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Truck set on fire by angry villagers after they saw blood spilling out of it, found 30 cows dead
- Want to book DDA community halls? Now, you can do it in 15 minutes - Know how
- Five dead, 20 injured as truck collides with tanker in UP's Lucknow - Know what happened
- BJP MP Maheish Girri to file defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal?
- Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo sends Portugal to pre-quarters - All details here