12 die in Madhya Pradesh stampede
Bhopal: At least 12 people were killed and four injured in a stampede during a religious gathering in Madhya Pradesh`s Ratlam district in the early hours of Saturday, an official said.
Chehallum is observed annually by a Muslim sect after 40 days of Muharram at Hussain Tekri in Ratlam district, 300 km from here.
The gate of the area where a fire oven on which the faithfuls walk was closed. A number of people tried to enter it, resulting in the stampede.
"Twelve people got killed. Four injured are being treated. We have announced Rs.10,000 compensation for those killed and Rs 5,000 for the injured," Ratlam Collector Rajendra Kumar Sharma said.
Four of the dead were women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?