20 lives lost, 50 villages under grip of flood in MP: CM
Bhopal: As many as 20 lives have been lost so far owing to heavy rains this season while 50 villages were affected by floods in Madhya Pradesh, where condition in 20 of them was alarming, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said here on Tuesday.
After an aerial survey of few rain-affected districts, the Chief Minister told reporters that of the 20 deaths, 11 had taken place last week while the rest occurred in the past two days, including four in Bhopal, two each in Chhindwara and Hoshangabad and one in Sagar district.
With rivers like Narmada, Betwa and Tawa flowing above the danger mark, giving rise to a flood-like situation in the state, 50 villages were affected by the flood, out of which condition in 20 of them was alarming.
Chouhan said efforts were being made on a war footing to tackle the situation caused by the heavy rains and nothing would be spared to help the affected people.
An Air Force helicopter had been requisitioned to evacuate those surrounded by flood near various rivers, he said.
Nearly 50,000 people in the state were affected by heavy rains, he said adding that everything will be done to ensure their safety.
All the district collectors have been directed to remain alert in view of the heavy rains and keep all preparations in place including distribution of food packets wherever necessary, the chief minister said.
On if the state had asked for any assistance from the Centre, Chouhan said no help has been sought till now and mentioned that soyabean crop had been damaged because of the heavy downpour.
However, there has been scanty rainfall in Alirajpur district of the state where efforts were being made to prevent migration of people, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH