30 percent increase in rape cases in Bhopal
Bhopal: There has been a 30 percent rise in rape cases in Bhopal this year while the number of murders have increased by 24 percent, state police records show.
The records reveal that 138 women were raped till December 15 this year while the figure was 106 last year.
The city also recorded the highest number of murders since last 10 years -- 88 murders. The figure was 71 last year and has not crossed 75 in the last decade.
There was also an increase in attempt of murder cases as 105 have been reported over last year`s 73.
There`s a silver lining in the form of decline in number of robberies and abductions. "We caught major gangs and solved many cases," Senior Superintendent of Police Yogesh Choudhary said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter