350 women put through virginity and pregnancy tests; probe ordered in MP
Betul: As many as 350 women were allegedly put through virginity and pregnancy tests during a mass marriage programme organised by the Madhya Pradesh government at Harad village in the tribal-dominated district.
A day after the alleged incident, the district administration on Saturday ordered a magisterial probe into the complaints regarding the tests conducted on the would-be-brides, including 90 tribal women, according to Betul district collector Rajesh Prasad Mishra.
"I have given the orders to probe the complaints on alleged virginity and pregnancy tests conducted on would-be-brides during yesterday`s mass marriage function under the `Mukhyamantri Kanyadan Yojana` at Harad village," he said.
Assistant Collector Neha Marvaya would conduct the inquiry and submit her report within seven days, he said.
Sources said that the tests were apparently ordered by the government officials.village," he said.
Meanwhile, demanding strict action against the officials, the Leader of Opposition in state Assembly Ajay Singh said that chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan should apologise to tribals and women over the incident.
Samajwadi Jan Parishad leader Anurag Modi said that the district collector cannot wash off his hands by only ordering a probe into the matter as there was no possibility of conducting virginity test without his permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof