350 women put through virginity and pregnancy tests; probe ordered in MP
Betul: As many as 350 women were allegedly put through virginity and pregnancy tests during a mass marriage programme organised by the Madhya Pradesh government at Harad village in the tribal-dominated district.
A day after the alleged incident, the district administration on Saturday ordered a magisterial probe into the complaints regarding the tests conducted on the would-be-brides, including 90 tribal women, according to Betul district collector Rajesh Prasad Mishra.
"I have given the orders to probe the complaints on alleged virginity and pregnancy tests conducted on would-be-brides during yesterday`s mass marriage function under the `Mukhyamantri Kanyadan Yojana` at Harad village," he said.
Assistant Collector Neha Marvaya would conduct the inquiry and submit her report within seven days, he said.
Sources said that the tests were apparently ordered by the government officials.village," he said.
Meanwhile, demanding strict action against the officials, the Leader of Opposition in state Assembly Ajay Singh said that chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan should apologise to tribals and women over the incident.
Samajwadi Jan Parishad leader Anurag Modi said that the district collector cannot wash off his hands by only ordering a probe into the matter as there was no possibility of conducting virginity test without his permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today