4,864 farmers committed suicide in MP
Bhopal: A total of 4,864 farmers committed suicide in Madhya Pradesh in the last four years, Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta said Thursday.
In a reply to legislator Ramniwas Rawat, the minister said of the 7,594 people who committed suicide in the state last year, 853 were farmers. The total included 1,107 labourers.
In 2008, 1,379 farmers committed suicide. The number rose to 1,395 in 2009 and slipped to 1,237 in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family