535 people marooned in flood-hit Hoshangabad
Bhopal: The Army, which was pressed into service for relief operations in flood-hit Hoshangabad district of Madhya Pradesh, has rescued over 500 people from various low-lying areas which were inundated due to heavy showers in the state.
About 535 marooned people from Bandrabhan, Malakheri and Babai areas in the district have been shifted to safer places as part of the ongoing relief, an official release said today.
Also, army jawans from Mhow and Bhopal camps undertook relief and rescue operations in flood-affected Dewas district.
On Saturday, four Air Force helicopters had airdropped 5500 food packets for stranded people in 16 flood-battered villages in Hoshangabad besides Nemawar area in Dewas.
Overall 134 persons have been killed in various rain-related incidents so far this monsoon in MP, out of which 25 died last week following heavy downpour flooding half a dozen districts in the state.
The affected districts are Dewas, Sehore, Hoshangabad, Khargone, Harda and Betul. A total of 38,200 people from 106 villages across these six districts were affected due to floods and the government has taken all possible steps to provide relief to them, it said.
On August 24, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had directed the Health Department to deploy medical teams in the affected areas to check possible outbreak of water-borne diseases.
For providing relief to those whose houses had been damaged, the Government has modified rules and it will now provide Rs 70,000 per house, instead of Rs 20,000, to the affected families for renovation/reconstruction work, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened