55 MLAs in MP have criminal cases against them
Bhopal: Criminal cases are registered against 55 MLAs, including some ministers, out of the 219 members in Madhya Pradesh Assembly, according to a survey.
Of these 55, 28 are from ruling BJP, 21 are from opposition Congress and three from the Bahujan Samaj Party.
The survey was conducted by the Madhya Pradesh unit of the NGO National Election Watch which scanned affidavits filed by 219 legislators in November 2008 election. Nine other MLAs had filed incomplete affidavits while two seats were vacant.
Citing the data, the NGO urged all political parties in Madhya Pradesh not to give tickets to persons facing criminal charges for the November 25 assembly election in the state.
It analysed affidavits filed by 2,965 candidates who had contested assembly elections in November 2008 and found that criminal cases had been registered against 445 -- approximately 15 per cent of the nominees.
The Congress had 69 out of 216 nominees facing criminal charges, the BJP 48 out of 217 and the BSP 41 out of 207.
The ministers against whom criminal cases are registered include Kailash Vijaywargia, Babulal Gaur, Ajay Vishnoi and Uma Shankar Gupta, it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended