55 MLAs in MP have criminal cases against them
Bhopal: Criminal cases are registered against 55 MLAs, including some ministers, out of the 219 members in Madhya Pradesh Assembly, according to a survey.
Of these 55, 28 are from ruling BJP, 21 are from opposition Congress and three from the Bahujan Samaj Party.
The survey was conducted by the Madhya Pradesh unit of the NGO National Election Watch which scanned affidavits filed by 219 legislators in November 2008 election. Nine other MLAs had filed incomplete affidavits while two seats were vacant.
Citing the data, the NGO urged all political parties in Madhya Pradesh not to give tickets to persons facing criminal charges for the November 25 assembly election in the state.
It analysed affidavits filed by 2,965 candidates who had contested assembly elections in November 2008 and found that criminal cases had been registered against 445 -- approximately 15 per cent of the nominees.
The Congress had 69 out of 216 nominees facing criminal charges, the BJP 48 out of 217 and the BSP 41 out of 207.
The ministers against whom criminal cases are registered include Kailash Vijaywargia, Babulal Gaur, Ajay Vishnoi and Uma Shankar Gupta, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!