7 school children, 2 youths abducted in MP rescued
Chhatarpur: Nine persons, including seven school children, who were kidnapped at gun-point three days ago from a village here, have been rescued safely by police from the Amarpura forest area.
"All the nine persons abducted from Erora village on Thursday have been rescued safely from Amarpura forest area after a brief exchange of fire with their kidnappers yesterday," police said on Sunday.
Soon after their abduction on February 7, a police team conducted combing operations in the forest. Yesterday, when the abductors saw the police team moving near, they opened fire at them, police said.
Police retaliated following which the abductors fled from the spot leaving all the kidnapped persons there, they said.
All nine persons were brought out of the forest and later in the day reunited with their families, they said.
The entire area has been cordoned off to apprehend the abductors, police said.
After abduction, families of some kidnapped persons had received ransom calls from their kidnappers who also threatened to kill the children if the demand was not met, they said.
After release, the children told the police that they were made to walk about 30-40 kms in the forest by the kidnappers, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY