ACB arrests police head constable for accepting a bribe
Raipur: A head constable was arrested by the Anti-Corruption Bureau for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 5,000 for releasing those who had already received bail, in Bilaspur district of Chhattisgarh on Friday, an official said.
"40-year-old Bahadur Ram Bhagat posted at Ratanpur police station was caught red handed accepting a bribe of Rs 5,000 from a man for releasing his family on bail and putting up their challan in connection with a case," the official said.
According to complainant Dheeraj Singh Thakur, a native of Kohtarai village, his wife had lodged a complaint against him, his father, mother and sister regarding a family dispute, after which they were arrested.
The case was being probed by head constable Bahadur Ram Bhagat, who allegedly refused to release all the four accused, even after they got bail in the case.
Bahadur allegedly sought Rs 6,000 for releasing them and putting up their challan in court, after which Dheeraj approached the ACB, he said.
The ACB laid a trap and Bahadur was arrested while accepting Rs 5,000 as a bribe, he said.
A case under sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act has been registered against him, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon