Accused alleges he was forced to drink urine in MP
Umaria: An accused, released on bail from Umaria sub-jail in Madhya Pradesh, Monday alleged the jail authorities forced him to drink the urine of another inmate because he could not pay money.
Ajit Singh Anand, who hails from Jabalpur, was released on bail on July 25.
"The jail authorities used to get a prisoner beaten up by other inmates for extracting money and in my case they also forced me to drink the urine of another prisoner," Anand told reporters here.
Those who paid up were spared, he said.
Anand is an accused in a case of theft of coal. He has filed a written complaint with the Madhya Pradesh Human Rights Commission and the District Collector.
He alleged the jail authorities had demanded Rs 20,000 from him and as he was unable to pay, he was tortured.
He was on the brink of committing suicide but got bail in time, he said.
When contacted, Sub-Divisional Magistrate in-charge of subjails (SDM), B D Singh, said he was not aware of the complaint.
Deputy Jail Superintendent, Umaria, Laxmikant Tripathi, said the incident might have taken place when he was on leave, and it would be probed.
Tripathi conceded the prison authorities spared the poor prisoners but but "get thrashed those involved in rape or theft".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!