Additional Rs 71.28 crores for Bhopal victims
New Delhi: Government on Thursday night approved
additional compensation of Rs 71.28 crore for the victims of
the Bhopal gas leak tragedy.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, approved the recommendations of the Group of
Ministers (GoM) on the Bhopal gas leak disaster of 1984 in the
matter of payment of ex-gratia to the victims.
The approval will facilitate payment of ex-gratia of Rs
5 lakh each to additional 1,703 victims with permanent
disability, and Rs 1 lakh ex-gratia to 1,783 persons with
temporary disability. The amount will be paid after adjustment
of compensation already received by these victims.
It also paves the way for payment of ex-gratia of Rs 5
lakh each to 42 victims of `injury of utmost severity` after
adjustment of compensation amount already received by them.
This ex-gratia amount is in addition to Rs 669 crore
which the government has already provided for payment to the
specified categories of Bhopal gas victims as per its decision
in June this year.
The government had constituted the GoM in May this year
to examine all the issues relating to Bhopal gas leak
disaster, including remediation measures, and makes appropriate
recommendations regarding relief and rehabilitation of the
victims and their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25