Additional Rs 71.28 crores for Bhopal victims
New Delhi: Government on Thursday night approved
additional compensation of Rs 71.28 crore for the victims of
the Bhopal gas leak tragedy.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, approved the recommendations of the Group of
Ministers (GoM) on the Bhopal gas leak disaster of 1984 in the
matter of payment of ex-gratia to the victims.
The approval will facilitate payment of ex-gratia of Rs
5 lakh each to additional 1,703 victims with permanent
disability, and Rs 1 lakh ex-gratia to 1,783 persons with
temporary disability. The amount will be paid after adjustment
of compensation already received by these victims.
It also paves the way for payment of ex-gratia of Rs 5
lakh each to 42 victims of `injury of utmost severity` after
adjustment of compensation amount already received by them.
This ex-gratia amount is in addition to Rs 669 crore
which the government has already provided for payment to the
specified categories of Bhopal gas victims as per its decision
in June this year.
The government had constituted the GoM in May this year
to examine all the issues relating to Bhopal gas leak
disaster, including remediation measures, and makes appropriate
recommendations regarding relief and rehabilitation of the
victims and their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune