Additional Rs 71.28 crores for Bhopal victims
New Delhi: Government on Thursday night approved
additional compensation of Rs 71.28 crore for the victims of
the Bhopal gas leak tragedy.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, approved the recommendations of the Group of
Ministers (GoM) on the Bhopal gas leak disaster of 1984 in the
matter of payment of ex-gratia to the victims.
The approval will facilitate payment of ex-gratia of Rs
5 lakh each to additional 1,703 victims with permanent
disability, and Rs 1 lakh ex-gratia to 1,783 persons with
temporary disability. The amount will be paid after adjustment
of compensation already received by these victims.
It also paves the way for payment of ex-gratia of Rs 5
lakh each to 42 victims of `injury of utmost severity` after
adjustment of compensation amount already received by them.
This ex-gratia amount is in addition to Rs 669 crore
which the government has already provided for payment to the
specified categories of Bhopal gas victims as per its decision
in June this year.
The government had constituted the GoM in May this year
to examine all the issues relating to Bhopal gas leak
disaster, including remediation measures, and makes appropriate
recommendations regarding relief and rehabilitation of the
victims and their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie