Aircraft with 148 MP pilgrims from Uttarakhand lands in Bhopal
Bhopal: A special aircraft carrying 148 pilgrims stranded in rain-ravaged Uttarakhand landed here on Tuesday amid emotional scenes at the Raja Bhoj International Airport.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan was present at the airport to receive pilgrims who arrived from Dehradun.
Chouhan welcomed older citizens and children by offering them garlands on the occasion and directed officials to ensure their safety till they reached their homes, official sources said.
The state government also deployed buses at the airport to ferry passengers to the nearest town from their homes.
Chouhan directed that efforts be made to trace all pilgrims who visited Uttarakhand about whom district collectors have got information, while he reviewed relief and rescue operations along with Chief Secretary R Parsuram, Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) Vivek Jouhri and Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister Manoj Shrivastava earlier during the day.
Chouhan also spoke to MP`s Public Relations Minister Laxmikant Sharma who informed him that a camp had been established in Joshimath by state officials, to provide relief to stranded pilgrims.
Nearly 250 pilgrims from MP are stranded in Joshimath and they would be brought to the plains by a land route.
The pilgrims stranded in Joshimath and Harsil are safe, the minister said.
The government also claimed that so far nearly 8,000 pilgrims have returned to their respective places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day