Anna supporter threatening self-immolation held
Sehore: A Congress worker, who had threatened to immolate himself in support of Anna Hazare`s campaign against corruption, was arrested on Wednesday by the police at Icchawar town here.
Saeed Bhat had written a letter to the local Tehsildar (revenue officer) stating that, if the demands of Hazare, fasting since, the last nine days on Lokpal issue, are not met, he will immolate himself in the Tehsil Office, Icchawar Sub- Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Dhiraj Shrivastava told reporters.
The SDM directed the police to arrest him before he takes the extreme step. Bhat was later produced in a court, which sent him to jail.
Meanwhile, Hazare supporters staged a sit-in at the Krishi Upaj Mandi here in, which nearly 50 traders participated.
Protests, street plays, candle-light marches and torch rallies were taken out in different parts of Madhya Pradesh in support of the 73-year-old Gandhian, who is demanding a strong Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?