Anna supporter threatening self-immolation held
Sehore: A Congress worker, who had threatened to immolate himself in support of Anna Hazare`s campaign against corruption, was arrested on Wednesday by the police at Icchawar town here.
Saeed Bhat had written a letter to the local Tehsildar (revenue officer) stating that, if the demands of Hazare, fasting since, the last nine days on Lokpal issue, are not met, he will immolate himself in the Tehsil Office, Icchawar Sub- Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Dhiraj Shrivastava told reporters.
The SDM directed the police to arrest him before he takes the extreme step. Bhat was later produced in a court, which sent him to jail.
Meanwhile, Hazare supporters staged a sit-in at the Krishi Upaj Mandi here in, which nearly 50 traders participated.
Protests, street plays, candle-light marches and torch rallies were taken out in different parts of Madhya Pradesh in support of the 73-year-old Gandhian, who is demanding a strong Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'