Anna supporter threatening self-immolation held
Sehore: A Congress worker, who had threatened to immolate himself in support of Anna Hazare`s campaign against corruption, was arrested on Wednesday by the police at Icchawar town here.
Saeed Bhat had written a letter to the local Tehsildar (revenue officer) stating that, if the demands of Hazare, fasting since, the last nine days on Lokpal issue, are not met, he will immolate himself in the Tehsil Office, Icchawar Sub- Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Dhiraj Shrivastava told reporters.
The SDM directed the police to arrest him before he takes the extreme step. Bhat was later produced in a court, which sent him to jail.
Meanwhile, Hazare supporters staged a sit-in at the Krishi Upaj Mandi here in, which nearly 50 traders participated.
Protests, street plays, candle-light marches and torch rallies were taken out in different parts of Madhya Pradesh in support of the 73-year-old Gandhian, who is demanding a strong Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say