Anna supporter threatening self-immolation held
Sehore: A Congress worker, who had threatened to immolate himself in support of Anna Hazare`s campaign against corruption, was arrested on Wednesday by the police at Icchawar town here.
Saeed Bhat had written a letter to the local Tehsildar (revenue officer) stating that, if the demands of Hazare, fasting since, the last nine days on Lokpal issue, are not met, he will immolate himself in the Tehsil Office, Icchawar Sub- Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Dhiraj Shrivastava told reporters.
The SDM directed the police to arrest him before he takes the extreme step. Bhat was later produced in a court, which sent him to jail.
Meanwhile, Hazare supporters staged a sit-in at the Krishi Upaj Mandi here in, which nearly 50 traders participated.
Protests, street plays, candle-light marches and torch rallies were taken out in different parts of Madhya Pradesh in support of the 73-year-old Gandhian, who is demanding a strong Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city