Archbishop of Bhopal in dock over complaint by priest
Bhopal: A local court has ordered registration of a case against the Archbishop of Bhopal and two others for allegedly conspiring to make a priest and former spokesperson of the local church mentally unsound by administering drugs.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Alok Mishra ordered the filing of a case against Archbishop Father Leo Cornelio and the other two under IPC Sections 328 (causing hurt by means of poison etc with intent to commit an offence) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) and has asked them to appear on March 1.
The order was given on February 7, a copy of which was received by the complainant on February 14.
Father Cornelio, however, told a news agency that the allegations levelled by Anand Muttangal, an ex-Public Relation Officer (PRO) for the archdiocese, were "baseless".
"The allegations were totally baseless. Muttangal is levelling these charges as he was removed from the post of PRO following complaints of gross irregularities which were not expected from a priest like him," he said.
Muttangal, in his complaint, alleged the Archbishop along with two others, his associate Mathew VC and Father Johnney PJ, current spokesman of the Archdiocese, conspired to eliminate him when he raised the issue of financial irregularities in the Archdiocese of Bhopal Society.
Cornelio is president of the Society.
Muttangal claimed they had procured drugs from a psychiatrist and asked an associate, Phillip KP, to administer them to him (Muttangal) to turn him insane.
However, Phillip disclosed the conspiracy to Muttangal following which he approached the police. But when his complaint was not entertained there, he moved the court.
Asked about the issue of procuring drugs, Cornelio said he had received complaints against Muttangal regarding his behavioural problems in dealing with others, indulging in activities not expected from a priest and entering into a property deal under a fake name.
"Since, we were concerned about his activities and found he was having behavioural problems, like threatening people around him, we consulted a leading psychiatrist in the city to help him overcome these problems," Cornelio claimed.
On the allegations of misappropriation of funds from the Society, the Archbishop said, "we have committees which deal with finance, property and construction issues in a transparent manner. We have a dedicated finance officer and our papers are in order. Anybody can come and see them."
Muttangal had, after his removal from the PRO post, filed a petition in the Madhya Pradesh High Court, but it was dismissed as there was no merit in his allegations, Cornelio said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in