Archbishop of Bhopal in dock over complaint by priest
Bhopal: A local court has ordered registration of a case against the Archbishop of Bhopal and two others for allegedly conspiring to make a priest and former spokesperson of the local church mentally unsound by administering drugs.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Alok Mishra ordered the filing of a case against Archbishop Father Leo Cornelio and the other two under IPC Sections 328 (causing hurt by means of poison etc with intent to commit an offence) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) and has asked them to appear on March 1.
The order was given on February 7, a copy of which was received by the complainant on February 14.
Father Cornelio, however, told a news agency that the allegations levelled by Anand Muttangal, an ex-Public Relation Officer (PRO) for the archdiocese, were "baseless".
"The allegations were totally baseless. Muttangal is levelling these charges as he was removed from the post of PRO following complaints of gross irregularities which were not expected from a priest like him," he said.
Muttangal, in his complaint, alleged the Archbishop along with two others, his associate Mathew VC and Father Johnney PJ, current spokesman of the Archdiocese, conspired to eliminate him when he raised the issue of financial irregularities in the Archdiocese of Bhopal Society.
Cornelio is president of the Society.
Muttangal claimed they had procured drugs from a psychiatrist and asked an associate, Phillip KP, to administer them to him (Muttangal) to turn him insane.
However, Phillip disclosed the conspiracy to Muttangal following which he approached the police. But when his complaint was not entertained there, he moved the court.
Asked about the issue of procuring drugs, Cornelio said he had received complaints against Muttangal regarding his behavioural problems in dealing with others, indulging in activities not expected from a priest and entering into a property deal under a fake name.
"Since, we were concerned about his activities and found he was having behavioural problems, like threatening people around him, we consulted a leading psychiatrist in the city to help him overcome these problems," Cornelio claimed.
On the allegations of misappropriation of funds from the Society, the Archbishop said, "we have committees which deal with finance, property and construction issues in a transparent manner. We have a dedicated finance officer and our papers are in order. Anybody can come and see them."
Muttangal had, after his removal from the PRO post, filed a petition in the Madhya Pradesh High Court, but it was dismissed as there was no merit in his allegations, Cornelio said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India