Assembly passes 11 bills sans debate after opposition walkout
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Assembly passed 13 bills on Wednesday, virtually without any discussion amid a walkout by the Congress-led opposition, protesting against raising the time of the day`s sitting beyond 5 pm.
After the passage of the first supplementary budget amounting to Rs 3040 crore, the house discussed Madhya Pradesh Religious Freedom Amendment Bill moved by MP Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta.
Arif Aqueel, Ramniwas Rawat and Yadvendra Singh (all Congress) took part in the debate after which it was passed.
Since the scheduled time of 5 pm for the day`s sitting of the house was over by then, MP assembly speaker Ishwardas Rohani took the house`s permission to extend the time for transacting the listed business of the day.
However, Congress members opposed this and demanded that discussion of other bills should take place afterwards instead of raising the time of the house, but the Speaker moved ahead with the proposal after getting a nod from the majority of members.
Opposing the decision, the Congress staged a walkout from the house and amidst the din, the house passed 11 other bills by a voice vote, without any discussion at all.
Meanwhile, Leader of the Opposition Ajay Singh who had tabled a no-confidence motion against the council of ministers headed by the Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, which is slated to be discussed tomorrow, said in a statement that the way the business of the house was conducted today, it appears that the Government would not allow the house to hold a debate on it.
He alleged that the government would not allow the house to complete its session scheduled till July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption