Assembly polls: MP Congress divided over CM choice
Bhopal: Though assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh are almost one-and-a-half year away, Opposition Congress, which is looking to prevent BJP from scoring a hat-trick in the state appears to be divided on the issue of chief ministership.
While a section of the party led by Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industries, Jyotiraditya Scindia favoured for contesting polls under the tribal leader and Madhya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) President Kantilal Bhuria as Chief Minister, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said the Congress high command, after consultation with party MLAs will elect the leader.
When asked whether Congress will contest the 2013 assembly polls in his leadership and also about his chief ministerial ambitions Scindia recently told reporters at Indore, "I don`t have any chief ministerial ambitions and the party will contest the elections in the leadership of Bhuria, who is the state party president."
To this, Bhuria said, "I am a disciplined party worker. My president has asked me to resign from Union Ministry and directed to take charge of Congress in Madhya Pradesh. In future also whatever the party high command asks me to do, I will do."
Meanwhile, Singh, who arrived at his ancestral Raghogarh town for launching his son, Jaiwardhan`s second leg of padyatra in Raghogarh assembly constituency in the run up to the 2013 polls, said, "In Congress there is a system to be followed. The party never projects anyone in advance as its leader and will follow the practice this time also."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez