Assembly polls: MP Congress divided over CM choice
Bhopal: Though assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh are almost one-and-a-half year away, Opposition Congress, which is looking to prevent BJP from scoring a hat-trick in the state appears to be divided on the issue of chief ministership.
While a section of the party led by Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industries, Jyotiraditya Scindia favoured for contesting polls under the tribal leader and Madhya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) President Kantilal Bhuria as Chief Minister, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said the Congress high command, after consultation with party MLAs will elect the leader.
When asked whether Congress will contest the 2013 assembly polls in his leadership and also about his chief ministerial ambitions Scindia recently told reporters at Indore, "I don`t have any chief ministerial ambitions and the party will contest the elections in the leadership of Bhuria, who is the state party president."
To this, Bhuria said, "I am a disciplined party worker. My president has asked me to resign from Union Ministry and directed to take charge of Congress in Madhya Pradesh. In future also whatever the party high command asks me to do, I will do."
Meanwhile, Singh, who arrived at his ancestral Raghogarh town for launching his son, Jaiwardhan`s second leg of padyatra in Raghogarh assembly constituency in the run up to the 2013 polls, said, "In Congress there is a system to be followed. The party never projects anyone in advance as its leader and will follow the practice this time also."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister