BGPMUS demands day-to-day hearing in Bhopal Gas tragedy case
Bhopal: The Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog
Sangathan (BGPMUS) Wednesday demanded that hearing on the
26-year-old gas tragedy case should be held on a day-to-day
basis in a sessions court here as the victims have been denied
justice for long on account of the usual proceedings.
"Already too much time has been lost in court hearings
and the disaster victims have so far not got any justice and
hence day-to-day hearings have become a must," BGPMUS Convener
Abdul Jabbar said.
The BGPMUS Convener said that following the industrial
disaster more than 20,000 people lost their lives without
seeing the guilty being punished while around five lakh who
were taken ill, are still awaiting when those responsible for
the gas leak in December 1984 would be brought to book.
Jabbar said most of the accused in the case had now
crossed the age of 70 while Warren Anderson who was then CEO
of Union Carbide Corporation is 90.
"Under such circumstances, there was simply no point
in carrying with the usual hearings which go on for years at a
stretch," he said.
The BGPMUS Convener also alleged that attempts were being
made by the Carbide in the Supreme Court to dilute the manner
in which hearings were being held there.
Jabbar also criticised Harish Salve`s opposition to the
CBI plea where the senior counsel had said the criminal
liability cannot be fixed in a curative petition and that the
case should be decided on the basis of law and not on the
basis of facts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings