Bhopal gas disaster: MP Congress chief writes to PM
Bhopal: The Congress in Madhya Pradesh
has appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to intervene in
resolving all the outstanding issues related to the 1984
Bhopal gas disaster, which killed more than 15,000 people and
affected the health of over five lakh persons.
In a letter to the Prime Minister yesterday, State
Congress President Suresh Pachouri said even after more than
25 years of the tragedy, the gas victims continue to suffer.
Pachouri said he would like to submit relevant points
before the Centre`s re-constituted Group of Ministers (GoM) on
the gas leak issue which is meeting in Delhi tomorrow.
A new action plan, which is under consideration of
Planning Commission for continuation of relief, rehabilitation
(social and economic) and additional measures, should be
expeditiously approved, Pachouri stated.
The amount of monetary compensation to the gas victims
should be enhanced and 350 metric tonnes of toxic waste, lying
in the defunct Union Carbide factory premises, must be safely
disposed of, the Congress leader said.
A mechanism must be devised for effective monitoring
of different aspects of relief, rehabilitation, compensation
and environmental impact, Pachouri said.
He said based on research on the long-term adverse
impact of gas leak on the surviving victims and their progeny,
effective medical care must be ensured for them.
Alleging that several gas victims were not getting
free and adequate treatment in the super speciality Bhopal
Memorial Trust Hospital, Pachouri said steps should be taken
to rectify this.
The State Congress President demanded more funds for a
tap water scheme for the gas-affected areas in addition to Rs
14.18 crore already provided under Jawaharlal Nehru National
Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) by the Centre.
The feasibility of criminal prosecution against Warren
Anderson, former Chairman of Union Carbide Corporation, and
other top officials of the company be examined, Pachouri said.
The Central Government should also seek extradition of
US-based Anderson, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement