Bhopal Gas leak: Former Collector, SP get notice
Bhopal: The Union Carbide Poisonous Gas Leak Inquiry Commission, which is mandated to probe the gas tragedy afresh, Monday issued notices to the then Collector Moti Singh and then SP Swaraj Puri of Bhopal to record their statements on December 20 in connection with the 1984 gas tragedy.
Earlier, the Commission headed by retired Justice S L Kochhar had sent a notice to the then Town Inspector Surendra Singh Thakur to record his statement today.
However, the police were unable to serve the notice on him following which the Chairman asked the Jabalpur SP to probe as to why the notice was not served on Thakur.
The Commission has directed the officials to ensure his presence on December 20 along with the then Collector and SP.
Meanwhile, in response to queries posed to them, the authorities concerned have informed the Commission that at the time of granting licence to Union Carbide, T A Pai was the Union Industries Minister but he was no more, sources said.
They further informed that R V Raman was the Commerce and Industries Secretary at that time but his current address was not yet made available to the Commission.
Kochhar directed the Centre to find out Raman`s residential address, phone number and e-mail address to ensure his presence before the panel.
Thousands of people were killed and lakhs maimed following leak of a poisonous gas from the Union Carbide plant in Bhopal on the intervening nights of December 2-3 in 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations