Bhopal Gas leak: Former Collector, SP get notice
Bhopal: The Union Carbide Poisonous Gas Leak Inquiry Commission, which is mandated to probe the gas tragedy afresh, Monday issued notices to the then Collector Moti Singh and then SP Swaraj Puri of Bhopal to record their statements on December 20 in connection with the 1984 gas tragedy.
Earlier, the Commission headed by retired Justice S L Kochhar had sent a notice to the then Town Inspector Surendra Singh Thakur to record his statement today.
However, the police were unable to serve the notice on him following which the Chairman asked the Jabalpur SP to probe as to why the notice was not served on Thakur.
The Commission has directed the officials to ensure his presence on December 20 along with the then Collector and SP.
Meanwhile, in response to queries posed to them, the authorities concerned have informed the Commission that at the time of granting licence to Union Carbide, T A Pai was the Union Industries Minister but he was no more, sources said.
They further informed that R V Raman was the Commerce and Industries Secretary at that time but his current address was not yet made available to the Commission.
Kochhar directed the Centre to find out Raman`s residential address, phone number and e-mail address to ensure his presence before the panel.
Thousands of people were killed and lakhs maimed following leak of a poisonous gas from the Union Carbide plant in Bhopal on the intervening nights of December 2-3 in 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis