Bhopal gas survivors to sit on `dharna` from Jan 3
Bhopal: The survivors of the Bhopal gas tragedy on Monday announced an indefinite `dharna` (sit-in) from January 03, demanding correction in figures of those killed and injured in the soon-to-be-heard curative petition in the Supreme Court.
At a press conference here, five leaders of five organisations fighting for justice to the victims said that the state government was yet to make much needed corrections in the figures as promised by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
"Our dharna will continue till the figures in the curative petition are actually corrected." said Rashida Bee of the Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Stationery Karmchari Sangh.
The survivors said that they would clean up and restore the historic `Bawadi` (step well) in the Bada Bagh area where the indefinite dharna will be held.
So far, the only assurance the organisations have received is that the concerned officials will be meeting with the additional solicitor general of Madhya Pradesh on January 06 to discuss changes in figures of damage caused by the gas leak in the Union Carbide plant here on December 03-04 night of 1984.
The organisations will also be demanding dropping of false criminal charges against Bhopal gas victims and the setting up of an independent and impartial investigation as promised by the Chief Minister.
"Some 2000 Bhopal residents are facing 17 criminal charges just for holding peaceful protests on the 27th anniversary of the disaster. The government is trying to criminalise the survivors` efforts to claim their legal rights to adequate compensation," said Balkrishna Namdeo of the Bhopal of Gas Peedit Nirashrit Pension Bhogi Sangharsh Morcha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore