Bhopal gas survivors to sit on `dharna` from today
Bhopal: The survivors of the Bhopal gas tragedy will hold an indefinite `dharna` (sit-in) starting Tuesday, demanding correction in figures of those killed and injured in the soon-to-be-heard curative petition in the Supreme Court.
At a press conference here, five leaders of five organisations fighting for justice to the victims said yesterday that the state government was yet to make much needed corrections in the figures as promised by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
"Our dharna will continue till the figures in the curative petition are actually corrected." said Rashida Bee of the Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Stationery Karmchari Sangh.
The survivors said that they would clean up and restore the historic `Bawadi` (step well) in the Bada Bagh area where the indefinite dharna will be held.
So far, the only assurance the organisations have received is that the concerned officials will be meeting with the additional solicitor general of Madhya Pradesh on Jan 6 to discuss changes in figures of damage caused by the has leak in the Union Carbide plant here on Dec 3-4 night of 1984.
The organisations will also be demanding dropping of false criminal charges against Bhopal gas victims and the setting up of an independent and impartial investigation as promised by the chief minister.
"Some 2000 Bhopal residents are facing 17 criminal charges just for holding peaceful protests on the 27th anniversary of the disaster. The government is trying to criminalise the survivors` efforts to claim their legal rights to adequate compensation," said Balkrishna Namdeo of the Bhopal of Gas Peedit Nirashrit Pension Bhogi Sangharsh Morcha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off