Bhopal gas tragedy: Compensation demanded for vict
Bhopal: As the city observed the 28th anniversary of the Bhopal gas disaster Monday, various organisations working for the cause of the people affected by it held rallies while criticising the government for not doing anything for the victims.
Even after 28 years the disaster, no one has been punished for it and the victims given only inadequate compensation, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sanghthan convenor Abdul Jabbar said.
Criticising both the central and the Madhya Pradesh governments, Jabbar alleged that it appeared that instead of helping the gas victims the two governments were trying to protect multi-national companies.
"It is because of this attitude that the then Chief Executive Officer of the Union Carbide, Warren Anderson, has not been brought to India so far to face trial here," he said.
The day began with an all-religion prayer meeting, which is held on this day every year since December 1984 to pay homage to the victims.
A number of other organisations working for the gas victims also took out processions and held meetings demanding justice for the gas victims.
After Jabbar`s speech, members of the Sangthan marched towards state Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan`s residence to submit a memorandum about their long-pending demands, including adequate compensation and speedy trial of gas-related cases.
On the intervening night of December 2-3, 1984, deadly methyl isocyanate gas leaked from the Union Carbide plant in Bhopal, killing over 3,000 people and injuring lakhs of others in the world`s worst industrial disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city