Bhopal gas tragedy: Compensation demanded for vict
Bhopal: As the city observed the 28th anniversary of the Bhopal gas disaster Monday, various organisations working for the cause of the people affected by it held rallies while criticising the government for not doing anything for the victims.
Even after 28 years the disaster, no one has been punished for it and the victims given only inadequate compensation, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sanghthan convenor Abdul Jabbar said.
Criticising both the central and the Madhya Pradesh governments, Jabbar alleged that it appeared that instead of helping the gas victims the two governments were trying to protect multi-national companies.
"It is because of this attitude that the then Chief Executive Officer of the Union Carbide, Warren Anderson, has not been brought to India so far to face trial here," he said.
The day began with an all-religion prayer meeting, which is held on this day every year since December 1984 to pay homage to the victims.
A number of other organisations working for the gas victims also took out processions and held meetings demanding justice for the gas victims.
After Jabbar`s speech, members of the Sangthan marched towards state Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan`s residence to submit a memorandum about their long-pending demands, including adequate compensation and speedy trial of gas-related cases.
On the intervening night of December 2-3, 1984, deadly methyl isocyanate gas leaked from the Union Carbide plant in Bhopal, killing over 3,000 people and injuring lakhs of others in the world`s worst industrial disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez